Monday 8 September 2014

August 31 - September 6

Word count: 4500

Not bad for a hectic week of back to school. 

I'm about a third of the way through my planned plot for the Revelations sequel and its starting to come together.  I can see how the various elements need to intertwine to form a solid story and which bits are starting to look like extras. 

This is only a first draft and I expect there will be at least two more after this (more likely four) before it's ready to go to the professional editors.  But I am pleased with how quickly the draft is coming together.  I just need to keep up my writing pace.

My hope is to put out at least one full size novel each year for the foreseeable future.  I've got dozens of ideas floating around my head and in my computer.  Most probably don't deserve the light of day but there are some nuggets waiting to be revealed.

I know some writers can put out 2 or 3 books a year.  In fact, one promotional site recommended trying to issue a new book every 90 days.  Maybe there are people who can do that and still give each story the time and energy it deserves but I can't.  Aside from the time required to physically type out the story, I need breaks and time away before I can start to see around some of my own blind spots.  Not to mention time to research and understand what I'm dealing with.

A good critique partner is mandatory.  Preferably more than one.  I have one who helps me during the development stage and others who will help me restructure everything when I've got my first drafts down.  I couldn't do this without them and I'm always grateful for their insights.

No comments:

Post a Comment