Thursday 27 August 2015

A Link Between Renovation and Writing

I will admit to being a bit of a reno-show junkie.  I love watching non-functional or ugly stuff get ripped down to the framework and then something beautiful and wonderful built up in the same place.  It's one of the reasons why I made my hero a contractor for Whispers In the Dark.

I see the same process when I'm editing.  I know it's a mixed-subject for writers.  Some writers love editing and are intimidated by the blank page.  Some of them hate the editing, preferring to move on to shiny new stories.  I probably lean more toward the latter than the former, but there is an elegance in finding the right finishing touches.

When editing, the key plot points are like the framework and drywall.  It's possible to move walls and support beams, but it takes a lot of work.  Adding in more description and adjusting dialogue is like doing a fresh coat of paint and adding the right light fixtures and window treatments.  It can completely change the sense and feel of a particular scene.

Then it's time for staging, the last finishing touches of furniture and accessories.  The tiny bits which make the different between good, great and brilliant.

Maybe I'm stretching the analogy a little far, but I believe almost any story can be made great just like almost any house can be made into something beautiful.  It's all a question of the amount of work the writer is willing to put in.

Last week, I was feeling down and overwhelmed about my work.  Now I'm ready to pick up my hammer and paintbrush and get started all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment