Thursday 6 August 2015

Remembering Your Inner Goddess

Women spend a lot of time being less than the brilliant goddesses we are.  We're busy managing our lives and usually our kids' and husbands' lives, too.  There always seems like there's something to do, some additional task to make us better or faster, and somehow, our internal awesomeness gets lost.

One of the things I loved about researching for Revelations was going to different burlesque shows and meeting the dancers.  No matter the size or what was going on in their personal lives, they seemed to have a wonderful joy in themselves, a celebration of all aspects of their personality and bodies.  It wasn't just about sex, it was about feeling good and sharing those good feelings with others and encouraging them to feel good about themselves, too.

I was reminded of it last week when I went to see Magic Mike XXL with a girlfriend.  Admittedly, I enjoyed seeing some very good-looking athletic men but I also enjoyed Jada Pinkett Smith's speeches, telling the women in the audience that they were all queens and they should never forget it.  She reminded us that we should be worshipped and exalted as the beauties we are.

I have a quote from Marianne Williamson on a mirror beside my front door.  I look at it before I leave the house:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?'  Actually who are you not to be?"

I think this is why we love characters like Samantha on Sex in the City.  She is confident and unafraid to enjoy what she enjoys without apologizing to anyone.  We want to feel that, to carry a little piece of it away with us against the moments of feeling small, inadequate and unattractive.

We are all beautiful, powerful and talented.  We are queens and goddesses. 

And we should never let anyone tell us differently.  Not even ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment