Monday 12 December 2016

Weekly Update: December 4 to 10th

Weekly word count: 5200 words

Despite a slow start to the week, I've had three good writing sessions this week, each 1500 to 2000 words.  The new story is coming along well.

I also had a fabulous informal get together with some ORWA and former-ORWA members.  I find sitting down with other authors to be incredibly useful and, frankly, encouraging.  It's nice to be able to talk with someone else in the same boat.

One of the more interesting discussions we had was about how we use facets of our own lives and backgrounds to create characters and plots.  A theme I've tended to notice in my own work is the balance between meeting responsibilities and being true to your own self.  It's something I struggle with in my own life, meeting all my responsibilities in my job and with my family while also making sure I don't subsume myself in those responsibilities.

I've been thinking about what to do for 2016 and I want to continue both the Heroine Fix and the Ink Tip monthly features.  I'm looking forward to examining more modern heroines, like the ladies from Agents of SHIELD, Conviction, Travellers, Criminal Minds.  I also want to looks at heroines from books, like Tanya Huff's characters or Lisbeth Salander.  For the Ink Tip features, I'm still thinking of whether or not a more precise theme might be helpful.  

In another two weeks, I should have the next round of edits back for Inquisition.  Then it will be time to work on the front and back matter as well as the teaser for book four.  I'm looking forward to pulling quotes for quote cards and doing up the director's commentary, chapter by chapter.  I'll be putting it up for pre-order for January 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment