Monday 6 November 2017

Weekly Update: October 29 to November 4

Weekly word count: 67oo words

After last week's writing success, I knew I couldn't go back to hit or miss sessions at home.  Trying to write between supper and the kids' bedtime just wasn't working.  There was always something ready to interrupt.  So I've switched to writing from 9 until 11 in the evening.  There's a definite downside to this: less sleep, since I need at least 30 minutes to unwind after shutting down the computer (and usually it's more like an hour).  There have also been a few days when I looked at the previous day's work and realized it was completely incoherent towards the end.  But I'm having fewer non-productive days.

I'm also pleased to report that my Nanowrimo account is up and running.  I don't find the website to be very intuitive but it is gratifying to watch my little total creep up.  (Or at least it is now that I figured out that I have to enter a cumulative total since November 1st rather than a daily total in the update section.)  Anyone who wants to buddy up can find me under Jennifer Carole Lewis (not imaginative, but direct).

I've been debating whether or not I want to enter Inquisition in a contest.  It's not too expensive to enter, but I have to send signed physical copies for the entry.  It's tempting since I still would really like to be able to add "Award Winning" to my name, but I did a lot of contests in 2016 and there wasn't much of a return.  

This month's ORWA workshop with Susanna Kearsley was amazing.  Her explanation of the techniques for weaving multiple storylines was invaluable and brought me a lot of clarity on things that I've done intuitively.  

November is going to be nose to the grindstone month.  Fingers crossed that I can begin the editing process by December 4th.  I'm in the mid-twenties of a planned forty-five chapter outline and getting to explore a lot of fascinating themes, like the dark side of Peter Pan and interspecies fertility.  This is the part of writing that I love: the chance to story-splore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment